Did you know that there is an herbal remedy that has been used specifically for hundreds of years to help fight stress-related fatigue? Rhodiola (rhodiola rosea) is a plant known to increase physical performance, ability to concentrate, intellectual vigor and relieve feelings of weakness (fatigue). It is a plant that can be found, among other places, in very cold regions and up to 3000 meters above sea level. Found in northern European countries such as Siberia, Iceland, and Scandinavia; it has been used for traditional use that the Swedes link to the legendary strength of the Vikings.
Quality extracts from this plant are said to have beneficial effects on both state of mind (depression and/or concentration) and energy metabolism. It is therefore an effective natural solution against fatigue issues related to stress. Already in 2011, a systematic review of the clinical studies carried out, identified 11 studies of moderate to high quality. This systematic review, considering all the quality scientific information published, concluded on the basis of the evidence that it was effective for:
(1) Physical performance,
(2) Mental performance, and
(3) The improvement in certain states of mind (mainly mild to moderate depression).
Since then, other scientific studies have been carried out to better understand the benefits of quality extracts from rhodiola and to deepen their applications as mild antidepressants. This is because rhodiola extracts, used in the right dosage, reduce depressive symptoms less markedly than chemical antidepressants, but with very few side effects. For example, the study by Maho and collaborators (2015) compared the effect of a quality extract of rhodiola to a commonly used antidepressant: sertraline. This medication belongs to the class of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It is used primarily for the treatment of depression, panic disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). This comparative study, versus placebo, demonstrated a slightly less significant effect of rhodiola vs. the drug, but with less than 50% of the side effects were reported (30% of participants reporting a side effect for rhodiola vs. 63% for the drug). Therefore, this is an example of a natural product that is a little less effective, but with much less side effects.
As for Vitoli® Energy, it contains a high-quality extract of rhodiola, standardized and more concentrated than what is usually found on the market. Rhodiola is accompanied by magnesium, vitamin B6 and the exclusive Provitol® Complex (olive polyphenols derived from patented technology).
Here are the health claims (5) approved by Health Canada for Vitoli® Energy:
- Temporarily helps relieve symptoms of stress such as metal fatigue and sensations of weakness.
- Helps support cognitive function such as mental focus and mental stamina.
- Helps to maintain proper muscle function.
- Helps prevent vitamin B6 deficiency.
- Provides antioxidants.
N.B. Contraindicated for those diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
Stress-related fatigue can result in anxiety, nervousness, decreased libido, difficulty concentrating or making decisions, headaches, memory loss or depression. Usually, just one capsule per day of Vitoli® Energy is enough to feel better, but it is possible to take 2. From the first days of taking it, a beneficial effect can be felt and the benefits will improve with prolonged use.
Testimonials from across Quebec
Here are some testimonials from people who wrote to us to thank us. We asked them for permission to use their testimonies while mentioning their full name, age and region to demonstrate that these are real people.
- “I didn’t believe in this at first because I had tried a lot of things before and it didn’t work. I purchased Vitoli® Energy and I am in better shape. Thank you very much, it gives me a lot of energy. I can now live again thanks to Vitoli. Thank you again.” Sylvie Beauchamp, 57, Chandler in Gaspésie
- “I’m usually always tired, both mentally and physically; I then decided to use the product, Energy. What a difference! Even after big days at work I still have the energy to get a one-hour workout with my spouse, something I couldn’t do before. In addition, I no longer need more hours of sleep to be able to operate the next day. I recommend this product 100%.” Véronique Mongeon, 39, Gatineau.
- “My son introduced me to Vitoli products and I am very happy. Vitoli® Energy capsules are great. I have a lot more energy and I can take care of my apartment much more easily while being less tired. I appreciate it very much, thank you again.” Gisèle Gauthier, 85 years old, Laval.
- “I have been taking Vitoli® Energy for a few weeks now and immediately after one week, I felt more energized and less stressed. I never thought I could have results like this! Thank you Vitoli!” Chantale Larouche, 51 years old, Côte-Nord.
- “For several years now, I’ve been lacking a lot of energy. Everyday life requires a lot of effort, whether for an activity with my children or an outing with friends. It seems unrealistic, but I had to plan everything and take a nap before each activity! I have spoken with various doctors who suspect sleep apnea and I have to undergo tests, but in the meantime I still have to work and it is difficult for those around me! Last November my mother told me about Vitoli. I did not believe it for a minute because I tried other natural products (for energy) with no results.I took Vitoli® Energy, twice a day. I saw results after about 1 week: I had more energy and I no longer felt the need to plan everything and take naps before planning an outing. I stopped taking it because the point of sale in my region was far away, and I started to run out of energy again … my old routine was coming back! A little skeptical once again, I went back to get the product and really realized that the Vitoli® Energy was the reason for my energy surplus! Now, I take 1 to 2 capsules a day of Vitoli® Energy, depending on my day… waiting for my tests regarding sleep apnea. Thank you Vitoli!” Vicky Deschamps, 38, Pointe-aux-Trembles.
- “I am so stressed and anxious that I can only sleep 3-4 hours a night. My “brain hamster” is spinning all the time. At one point, I couldn’t take it anymore. I was having trouble getting through my day and couldn’t catch up. Since Valérie, my pharmacist at Familiprix, advised me to take Vitoli® Energy, everything has changed! I manage to get through my day and I “go wild” as it seems. I haven’t even taken two bottles and already I feel so much better! I know I need to sort out my stress and anxiety issues anyway, but at least I got through it thanks to Vitoli!” Johanne Marquis, 53 years old, Saint-Félix-de-Valois.
Other suggested articles
- Chronic Stress; the Immune System and Weight Gain
- 6 Tips to Fight Fatigue: Article 2 of 2
- Stop Sleeping Pills in 5 Steps
- Better Understanding of the Vitoli Quality
- Amsterdam JD, Panossian AG. 2016. Rhodiola rosea L. as a putative botanical antidepressant. Phytomedicine. 2016;23(7):770–783.
- Hung SK, Perry R, Ernst E. 2011. The effectiveness and efficacy of Rhodiola rosea L.: a systematic review of randomized clinical trials. Phytomedicine. 2011;18(4):235–244.
- Ishaque S, Shamseer L, Bukutu C, Vohra S. 2012. Rhodiola rosea for physical and mental fatigue: a systematic review. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012;12:70. Published 2012 May 29.
- Limanaqi F, Biagioni F, Busceti CL, Polzella M, Fabrizi C, Fornai F. 2020. Potential Antidepressant Effects of Scutellaria baicalensis, Hericium erinaceus and Rhodiola rosea. Antioxidants (Basel). 2020;9(3):E234. Published 2020 Mar 12.
- Mao JJ, Xie SX, Zee J, Soeller I, Li QS, Rockwell K, Amsterdam JD. Rhodiola rosea versus sertraline for major depressive disorder: A randomized placebo-controlled trial. Phytomedicine. 2015 Mar 15;22(3):394-9.
- Panossian et al, 2010. Rosenroot (Rhodiola rosea): traditional use, chemical composition, pharmacology and clinical efficacy. Phytomedicine. 2010 Jun;17(7):481-93.
- Sarris et al, 2011. Herbal medicine for depression, anxiety and insomnia: a review of psychopharmacology and clinical evidence. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011 Dec;21(12):841-60.
- Xin et al, 2015. Survey of commercial Rhodiola products revealed species diversity and potential safety issues. Sci Rep. 2015 Feb 9;5:8337.