From the same family as ginger (zingiberaceae), turmeric is a spice widely used in India, China, Iran, Polynesia and Malaysia, especially in curry dishes. In North America, it is used in particular in the preparation of mustards. It also serves as a yellow food coloring and preservative. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties have made it a star food. Popularized by the media, its prophylactic use against cancer or diseases associated with oxidative stress is more and more widespread. Recent studies have identified contaminants in certain turmeric supplements, it may be best to take them through food sources.
A great friend of ours, Richard Abel, proud consumer of Vitoli products, offered us his recipe for turmeric chicken. A few years ago, this renowned pianist appeared on the program “Pour le Plaisir” hosted by France Castel and Michel Barrette to present this very recipe. With the participation of our chef, we would like to share it with you. Wishing a good discovery to all!
Ingredients (6 to 8 people) :
– 2 pounds of chicken breast, cut into medium cubes
– 1 medium onion, medium diced
– 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
– 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
– 1 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 2 cans of coconut milk, well shaken (14 ounces)
– White or brown basmati rice (Tilda, Suraj, Uncle Ben’s, President’s Choice)
– Steamed vegetables (optional, to add color to your plate):
carrots cut in circles
- Take out a large pan, large enough to accommodate your diced chicken. Heat your coconut oil over medium heat, and then add the turmeric with pepper. Using a wooden spoon, stir your colored oil. This can take four to five minutes.
- In this beautiful golden yellow oil, put your chicken cubes with onion. Stir well the chicken cubes and the onion so that they are well coated. Let the chicken brown for a good ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the salt, and then cook a little more to make sure the chicken is yellow and semi-cooked.
- It is time to add the coconut milk to the chicken. Shake your coconut cans well, and then pour the contents over the chicken. Bring to a boil, and then lower to medium heat to simmer until you get a smoothly thickened sauce.
- While your sauce is simmering slowly, which can take 45 minutes to an hour, you can prepare the rice. This will allow the chicken and the rice to be ready at approximately the same time. When the rice is cooked, all you have to do is shut off the heat. The steam generated in the pot will be enough to keep it hot.
- About ten minutes from being complete, you could put your vegetables in the steamer. So, your chicken and side dishes will be ready at the same time. For the assembly, put rice at the bottom of the plate. Second, take chicken with sauce by placing them in the center of the rice. Finally, decorate your dish with your delicious steamed vegetables.