Great importance is placed on increasing the daily protein intake. We should favor vegetable proteins, such as legumes amongst others. This reduces the consumption of meat, which is beneficial for our health and for the environment. Especially since the consumption of legumes is associated with longevity for many different cultures.
Legumes, in dried form, keep very long, even years. They offer an excellent yield, that is, one cup of pulses makes almost three cups when boiled. For all those who want to simplify their lives, there are many canned varieties. However, you will need to rinse them well in cold water before use. This manipulation will allow you to considerably reduce their sodium content. You only need good recipes to fall in love with beans and lentils. That’s why we recommend a delicious artichoke hummus. This new ally will go hand in hand with all your favorite vegetables. Do not hesitate to spread a generous layer in your sandwiches!
– 1 can (14 oz) of chickpeas or brown beans (about 2 to 2 1/2 cups)
– 1 cup of Kirkland or other marinated artichokes
– 1/2 cup extra artichokes cut into small pieces
– 3 tablespoons of Tahini (sesame paste)
– 1 dash of olive oil
– 4 garlic cloves, peeled
– 8 to 10 basil leaves
– 1 teaspoon ground caraway or cumin
– 1/3 cup of fresh lemon juice
– Salt and pepper to taste
– A few slices of black or green olives to garnish
– Whole wheat pita or naan bread (toasted or plain)
– Triscuit or other whole wheat crackers
– Any vegetable stick (celery, carrot, cucumber etc.)
– Broccoli or cauliflower florets
– Radish quarters
– Used as a condiment instead of mayonnaise in a sandwich
- In your food processor, put all the ingredients except the olives, and the extra half cup of artichokes. Do the same with the legumes, preferably rinsing them with plenty of cold water.
- Pulse the mixture at low speed until it has a silky texture. If you see that the mixture is difficult to dilute due to its consistency, you can add a little water or lemon juice, pulsing gently. However, be careful to have a nice spread, not a soup.
- Once your hummus is finished, transfer it to a bowl, then stir in the reserved artichokes. Taste, salt and pepper to taste if necessary. Finally, enjoy your hummus with our suggested accompaniments. This high protein dip will allow you to impress your guests.
- Cederholm T, Hellénius ML. Matens betydelse för åldrande och livslängd – Matens sammansättning, oxidativ stress och vikt är viktiga faktorer [The importance of food for aging and longevity. Food composition, oxidative stress and weight are important factors]. Lakartidningen. 2016;113:DYMA. Published 2016 Jun 2.
- Kouris-Blazos A, Belski R. Health benefits of legumes and pulses with a focus on Australian sweet lupins. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2016;25(1):1-17. doi:10.6133/apjcn.2016.25.1.23
- Willcox DC, Scapagnini G, Willcox BJ. Healthy aging diets other than the Mediterranean: a focus on the Okinawan diet. Mech Ageing Dev. 2014;136-137:148-162. doi:10.1016/j.mad.2014.01.002